Wednesday, September 3, 2014

WOYWW # 274

Taking photographs of my creations that look decent is a challenge. With all the houses we've moved to in the time I've been playing WOYWW it certainly is a challenging decision. Last week I found the perfect place. Great light, great colour, of all places-in the bathroom downstairs-my craft room bathroom that is.
So I hunted high and low to get some glossy surfaced tile and a nice background one. Found these at a tile shop around the corner. Got one slate coloured one for the lighter cards and one off-white one for the darker cards and some background ones as I don't think the mirror or the tiles behind a card would look good. These 60cm x 60cm tiles for $7 that have a reflective surface.

 This is the window that gives awesome light, you wouldn't believe it as it looks so dark, but that is the secret to great photos, to have the light behind you and the area must be decorated in light coloured tiles and walls so the light reflects off them, the window is behind the camera. I've been studying all the great photographs Crafters posted and my favourite ones are those with a reflective surface. Yes it looks precarious but it's actually quite stable as they are heavy. I glued some non stick sheets to the back of them to protect the front of the tiles from being scratched. Its amazing how rough the backs of these tiles are.
Another secret I've found is to zoom the camera in while standing as far back as you can, this removes all shadows of you holding the camera etc right in the viewing area of the subject. Check out the first photo I took with this set up HERE.

Joining Julia's Stamping Ground  to see what other craft areas other people have.

EDITED: I subscribe to Digital Photography School, its free and you get lots of great hints and tips.

Here is a link for posing people with confidence, 
it works the same for articles you are photographing.

Portrait printables

Hints and tips page

25 comments :

kiwimeskreations said...

What a great find - the tiles and the light in the bathroom! Thanks for the tip about standing back and zooming in - the shadows so frustrate me at times :-)
Blessings
Maxine

Amy E said...

Haha! I love it...we should name the post this week, What's on Your Bathroom Counter Wednesday! I've been studying photography lately and absolutely agree with everything you say!

Happy WOYWW!
Amy E. #4
Scrapthissavethat.com

Helen said...

What a fab bathroom - even without your photo shoot set up (which is also great!) Some great tips too, thanks! Helen 14

Mrs.D said...

Great pictures, technical explanation way over my head, but I enjoy your pictures all the more because you have used your skills and share your super results with us.
Chris #10

Nikki said...

Great pictures are always tough It's funny how the lighting changes the look of your pictures so quickly.
Hugs Nikki 2

Sunshine Girl said...

Great tips there - my photos in my craft room are always a bit off despite having very powerful daylight bulbs - oh well, at least I try! Sunshine Girl #17

Judys Lace Creations said...

I'm going to try some of these tips.
Thanks
Judy

Anonymous said...

Happy WOYWW and congrats on the No.1 spot. Loving the bathroom and the photography set-up. My photos are rubbish, although I do now have a set-up in one of my craft room windows - with grey card as a background. Ali x #20

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

ah numero uno well done, Bridget.. and I take my pickies outside saves all the hassle of light I find and shadows.. having a courtyard is handy for that!! :D rain, hail or shine :D Shaz in oz.x #33

Hazel said...

Interesting post - the zooming in to avoid shadows is a good tip (one that I need to remind myself). Thanks for sharing photos of your bathroom for today's WOYWW! Hazel, WOYWW, #34 x

Annie Claxton said...

What a clever idea! Thanks for the tips. Happy WOYWW :o) Annie C #45

pearshapedcrafting said...

Great photo you took! Thanks for the tips! Chris46

Chrysalis said...

What a great photo space - and thanks for the zoom hints - I'm rubbish with the camera! Have a great week, Chris # 29

Eliza said...

congrats on being no 1 this week Bridgett. Also so really good advice and lucky you to have finally found a room that provides you with the light you need naturally and your own craft bathroom. Woo hoo.

Have a great week.
Hugs Eliza & Yoda 49

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Bridget, you have done well to find somewhere that suits your photography and I agree fully about standing back to reduce shadow. Happy crafting and photography, Angela x 38

Unknown said...

What a great setup! I really need to seriously have a better setup for my craft photography. I'm just waiting to buy a really good little camera I want. Hey girl, you're number one!!! Happy WOYWW! Sandy Leigh #55

Carole said...

Thanks for sharing those great tips. Be well Carole #57

Unknown said...

I say!! .. What a great idea you got there - thihi.. I did the same while I was a photographer student (50 years ago) - Lovely. Happy WOYWW ing and have a super week!

Kind regards
Mariane
http://cordes.re/blg/wind/?p=1529

Elizabeth said...

Hi Bridget, you have a super set up there - those tiles were quite a find. I keep trying out photographing in different places around the house too, changing the lighting etc., all for the sake of a great photo :) Have a good week. Elizabeth x #26

sandysewin said...

Yes, nice photos of our work do not just happen, do they? It takes a lot of planning and set up to get great shots.

Happy creating and happy woyww,

Sandy #21

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Great tips! Thanks for sharing
Cheers
Gabriele 65

Shoshi said...

Well, this is a very different kind of post, Bridget! Talk about lateral thinking. I'm very impressed. Nice bathroom, too!

Happy WOYWW,
Shoshi #40

Anonymous said...

Love the tips :) I am so often a grab & snap photographer so even lovely project s don't get shown off all that well, but easy to sue tips make me want to take the few extra minutes to take a decent shot. WANY to, sure, but will I? Hummm....

:)

Happy WOYWW!
Mary Anne (8)

Anavon Harris said...

great tips and tiles... I shared your tips with my son who like to take and create photo settings.

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Bridget,
Congrats on being number one! Your photo set up looks great; you never know where you'll find the perfect place to take photos.

I went by to see the photo you took and the tea looks nice and refreshing. Mason jars are big in my world - I love them!

Hugs,
Kay